Crossing Paths
Page 6

At approximately 0837, some 2300 yards to the south of Medusa, off Hospital Point, Pharmacist's Mate 3c Edwin Soreside witnesses a periscope off Hospital Point. Excited, he runs to the nearest telephone and notifies the Navy Yard Signal Tower of what he saw.

(Author’s note: Periscope sighting is made 37 minutes after I-22tou passes Hospital Point northbound).

At approximately 0837, in the East Loch, onboard the destroyer Monaghan, the order was given "all engines ahead flank speed" and word is passed that it is intended to ram the submarine – then distant about one thousand yards. At about the same time Williamson, D.C., (CQM) who had the helm, is directed to head for the submarine when he gave assurance that he saw it.

At 0838, the Navy Yard Signal Tower receives a phone call from a guy at Hospital Point who saw a periscope go by. The caller was so excited, he didn't even leave his name. The call is logged in at 0838.

(Author's note: This telephone call has been incorrectly attributed by many Pearl Harbor historians to the periscope sighting of I-22tou heading for the Middle Loch. CSM Pryor, in the Navy Yard Signal Tower, stationed lookouts for the submarine and he spots a submarine periscope just southwest of berth F-9 just before Curtiss opens fire. The periscope sighted by Soreside is off Hospital Point some 2100 yards to the south. The I-22tou could not be off Hospital Point and a nautical mile away in the North Channel to be fired upon by Curtiss/Tangier and rammed by Monaghan) in the same instant of time (or thereabouts).

At 0839, CSM Pryor, in the Navy Yard Signal Tower records the first signal being flown from the Light Cruiser USS Phoenix (CL-46) of a "submarine in the harbor submerged."

(Author's Note: Times reported by the NYD tower time - were stamped at the time of incident and not re-constructed after the fact).

At approximately 0840, in the Middle Loch, onboard Curtiss, a submarine surfaced showing conning tower and section of bow. The submarine is observed to fire one torpedo up North Channel toward a destroyer. The conning tower is hit twice by 5" shells from gun #3.

At about time 0840, some 500 yards to the south of Hospital Point, approaching Channel Buoy #19 (south of Buoy C21) in the channel, is the Navy tugboat YT-153 commanded by Boatswain's Mate First Class Ralph L. Holzhaus. They were returning from the entrance buoy with the Antares harbor pilot. The tug had just experienced a Japanese plane swooping low for a strafing run. As the water churned with bullets a mere 15 feet to starboard, Holzhaus thought "everything was finished for the 153," but the approach of a B-17 offered bigger game and distracted the strafer away from them. It was then that Boatswain's Mate Second Class Russell Ludwig spotted a submarine periscope (about 2 feet above the water) heading into the North Channel. Holzhaus did the only thing he could think of: he changed course and attempted to run the sub down.

Onboard I-16tou, something wasn't right. While observing NAS Ford Island and both harbor entry ways, Sub-Lieutenant Yokoyama swings the periscope around to the channel exit and sees the bow of a navy patrol boat heading towards them. Down periscope!

On the tug YT-153, the periscope disappeared before they could reach the submarine. BM1 Holzhaus orders the tug to cruise around slowly, an unlikely warship stalking a still more unlikely prey.

In the I-16tou, the two crewmen hear the tug overhead but no other sounds follow after that. A more ominous event is occurring. The jar felt as they hit the east bank of Waipio Peninsula was evident. Yokoyama couldn't raise his periscope up to see where they were because of the American patrol boat. It didn't help that the channel current was carrying them along the bank. Kamita struggles to pull them away from the bank and back into the middle of the channel.

At approximately 0842, in the Middle Loch, onboard Curtiss, the order is given to "Cease firing on submarine". Tangier also ceases fire.

At approximately 0843, in the Middle Loch, onboard Monaghan, word is passed to stand by for a shock forward as the submarine had disappeared from the view of those on the bridge and ramming is considered imminent. Shortly thereafter a slight shock is felt. Onboard the Curtiss, air bubbles and slick is observed in the wake of the Monaghan depth charge attack.

At 0842, CSM Pryor, in the Navy Yard signal tower witnesses Monaghan's actions and records the ramming of the sub at 0842.

At approximately 0844, in the Middle Loch, onboard Monaghan, the two depth charges released explode violently about 50-100 yards astern of Monaghan. At about the same time of the depth charge explosions, the order is given "all engines back emergency full speed", which, although carried out promptly, is insufficient to check the headway of the ship which consequently strikes a derrick moored near Beckoning Point a slight blow.

At time 0844, in the Middle Loch, onboard Dale, stopped while Monaghan dropped depth charges on enemy submarine close aboard the starboard side of Curtiss. Changed speed to 25 knots and proceeded out of harbor ahead of Monaghan.

In the Middle Loch, onboard Monaghan, upon attempting to back clear of the derrick it is discovered that the ship is entangled with one of her mooring lines but by going ahead slowly they were able to free Monaghan and at about 0847 the destroyer swings into the channel astern of Dale and proceeds out of the harbor.

At 0845, in the channel, Bobolink reaches the first buoy (southeast of Waipio Point) and positions herself.

At approximately 0900, in the channel, after the word had been received to beware of Japanese submarines, Bobolink notes a disturbance at Waipio Point and immediately fires three shots at slick and mud that had been stirred up there. No ships are within a thousand yards of this point at the time, and it is believed by Bobolink personnel that a submerged enemy submarine brushed the left bank of the channel on its way to open sea after an attack in Pearl Harbor.

Shortly after 0900, in the channel, Dale, followed by Monaghan, running at high speed, pass by Waipio Point (on their starboard side) and the first buoy (on their port side), on their way out of the Pearl Harbor channel and out to sea.

Bobolink immediately signals the two destroyers that were coming out of the channel to drop depth charges off the point, but the signal is apparently not seen.

Page 7